F-102 Delta Dagger at Soesterberg Air Base
In 1958, the first F-102 Delta Dagger arrived at Soesterberg AB, to replace the F-100c Super Sabre’s.
The F-102 Delta Dagger remained in service with the 32nd Wolfhounds, until 1968 when it was replaced for the F-4 Phantom.
The primary mission of the F-102 was to intercept and destroy enemy aircraft.
In a wartime situation, electronic equipment on the aircraft would locate enemy aircraft and the F-102's radar would guide it into position for attack. The electronic fire control system would automatically fire the air-to-air rockets and missiles.
Wheelus AB Libya F-102 Delta
The primary mission of the F-102 was to intercept and destroy enemy aircraft. It was the world's first supersonic all-weather jet interceptor and the USAF's first operational delta-wing aircraft. The F-102 made its initial flight on Oct. 24, 1953, and became operational with the Air Defense Command in 1956. At the peak of deployment in the late 1950s, F-102s equipped more than 25 ADC squadrons. Convair built 1,000 F-102s, 889 of which were F-102As. The USAF also bought 111 TF-102As as combat trainers with side-by-side seating.
On Jan. 14, 1957, the U.S. Air Force signed a $74 million contract with Convair to purchase more F-102A Delta Dagger aircraft